VIF is the world’s first and only major improv festival dedicated to performance by experienced Vintage improvisers age 50 and over. From a just a vision five years ago, over the past 2 years, VIF has actively pushed the boundaries while working to create and expand possibilities. This year, festival will continue to adapt, pioneer and reinvent. As VIF contributes to developing the emerging artform of virtual improvisation, we will expand the possibilities to learn and play together across geographic boundaries. .
By creating and participating in this virtual, online festival , participants at VIF 2020 make their mark as adventurous trendsetters who will significantly contribute to the development of a new artistic phenomenon we are calling virtual improvisation. VIF’s Featured Faculty roster includes David Razowsky, Jay Sukow, Tom Tollenaere, Deana Criess, Brian Palermo, Ji, Karwisch and John Windmueller. And as you might expect from the creative resilience of the Vintage community that they reflect, each of them has experience in teaching and performing in this new online art form.
- We will offer a pre-festival New Faces Track for those who wish to establish credentials a virtual festival instructor. Some of these New Faces will be selected to participate in our Global Vintage Improv Outreach by providing free workshops during the festival.
- Costs for everyone will be less this year.
- More vintage groups can apply to perform because the whole team won’t the expense of traveling to Boston.
- More instructors may be able to participate since they won’t have to spend time traveling which leads to more diverse possibilities for curated teams and workshops.
- We can feature more international instructors.
- We can offer a few workshops and acts in a language other than English.
- We can offer modest stipends to assist in paying a coach for the creation of one or two minority, vintage troupes who would not be able to practice and perform together without that assistance.
- For the first time VIF is able to offer improv workshops to anyone age 50 or over-not just our performance track improvisers. These 90 minute workshops will be offered on a pay as you go basis and are open to anyone registered for Vintage improv Festival. They will be targeted to three levels -beginner, intermediate and advanced. They are not linked to a performance..
- We will offer an intergenerational curated team where grandparents and their grandchildren who are experienced improvisers of any age will learn and perform together during the festival
- We will be leading innovators in the new artform of virtual improvisation!
Additional Invited Faculty will be announced at later dates. This year any person who registers for VIF will have the opportunity to take online workshops, regardless of improv experience.
This is the entry point for all participants at the festival. Registration opens up access to signing up for stand alone workshops, performance tracks, all performances and invitations to virtual social activities, panels and forums. Everyone involved in VIF 2020 must complete the general registration. This is nonrefundable.
Early Bird prior to July 15: 25 USD per person
Regular Registration: 30 USD per person
Vintage Explorers Flex-Track
Once you have paid the non-refundable General Registration, the Virtual Explorers Flex-Track is open to you. In fact, anyone who turns age 50 or more in 2020 is welcome to join us!
You may be someone who just wants to watch the shows, attend the virtual parties and schmooze with the performers. You might be someone who has always wanted to check out improv but life got in the way. The Explorer Flex-Track is a great option for beginners all the way up to advanced improvisers who don’t want to perform and desire flexibility during the Festival. Experience the flexibility included in a wide range of workshop options. Typically 60-90 minutes, these are all for exploring new possibilities in improv. They are offered for a modest fee. Specific offerings open up closer to the Festival and are available on a first come first serve basis. Please sign up for our feed or check back frequently.
If you are an experienced improviser eager to develop your performance skills in this emerging artform, this is the Track for you, All performers complete the non-refundable general registration and complete an audition process as an individual. All selected performers participate in at least 1 curated intensive experience that works toward a virtual performance during the festival that is directed by one of our featured faculty. Ideally accepted performers will choose 2-3 intensives to achieve the maximum performance experience offered by the Festival but the minimum is 1 curated team for each performer.
All new performance-based participants are selected through a virtual audition process. Performance track participants can additionally apply to perform at the Festival as a pre-existing Vintage troupe. Performers selected for the performance track take take 9-18 hours of intensive small-group instruction together and will perform virtually as a Troupe. The Festival will feature invited unpaid performances by pre-existing Vintage Troupes who demonstrate successfully engaging shows in a digital format.
Vintage Troupe Track:
Preexisting Vintage Troupes may submit application to perform at the festival. If all Troupe members have already submitted the non-refundable General Registration, there is no additional fee for Vintage Troupe Track auditions. 2020 auditions will include a video of your Zoom based offering. That Zoom video does not have to be performed in front of a live audience. Its purpose is to demonstrate that your format translates well into this new 2-D medium. Since the mission of VIF is to create community, invited troupe members should be prepared to register for and participate in at least one curated team experience in the Performance Track.
New Faces Instructor Track
Anyone may audition for this track. The successful applicant will have advanced experience in improv, an educational background of some sort either by experience or training and experience performing as well as taking workshops at festivals. They will have computer access for Zoom and time to take the training as scheduled.
Please complete General Registration prior to applying for this track. There is a sliding scale for submitting an application and for the nominal track tuition.
Invited Faculty Track
Dedicated to the proposition that comedy gets better with age, a Vintage Improv Festival (VIF) is a joyous celebration of the Art of Improvisation featuring improvisers who are at least 50 years old. Through performances and in learning community over one jam-packed weekend, each Festival is designed to support the Vintage community while reaching out to the general public through performance to foster intergenerational appreciation and communication. Sponsored by Vintage Improv Festival, Inc. a nonprofit organization based in the Boston Massachusetts area, the organization is committed to working with other cities to sponsor regional VIF spinoffs in order to meet the needs of a growing and underserved improv demographic.